Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cast & Blast

Opening weekend of Cast & Blast for the south zone was officially a success here on Baffin Bay. The recent rains had me a little worried about what the birds might do but it turned out I worried needlessly. Friday afternoon hunt was very good. While we didn't limit out, it was not the fault of the birds LOL. Click on the pics to enlarge.


Saturday, we hit the water early and with the help of Capt. Tom Crouch and Capt Sally Moffett, we had a good day on the water. Capt Tom's boat had a great day and they captured the Big Trout pot with twin 28 1/2" Big Girls.


That evenings hunt was near Falfurrias and was very good as well. Capt Sally's new lab pup Kelly got a good work out as did my Rocksy. A few prickly pear thorns needed to be removed but the dogs proved their mettle and made our jobs easier.


The fishing the next morning was fantastic despite no winds. Trout up to 22" were good on topwaters and redfish were about as thick and aggressive as I have seen in quite a while. We caught and released beyond our limits and had several oversized reds as well all on topwaters. Super Spook Jr's, and MirroMullets in various colors did the job for us. Also, I saw more stingrays this weekend than I think I have ever seen so if you are wading in the Baffin, ULM area, please be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment