Monday, July 20, 2009

Hot And Windy

Starting to sound like a broken record huh?? It started out breezy and went downhill fast. We had some good fish early on various colored Devil Eyes. Nothing doing on topwaters today. One interesting occurrence today. I hooked a 17" trout in some very clear water around 9:30am. As I was about to land the fish, I noticed a very large trout following closely behind. I mean this was a BIG trout. I landed the 17"er and watched as the Big Girl slowly swam off and headed for a small grass patch. I then made about 15 casts thoroughly working that grass patch over. I was rewarded with a vicious strike and I knew I had a certifiable Baffin Big Girl on the line. She thrashed the surface about 40 feet away from me and I could tell she was just barely hooked. I kept my rod tip down hoping to keep her from throwing the hook. I played her down slowly and it was looking like I was going to prevail. You know whats coming next don't you??

She made one last run and the hook pulled free and she just sat there ten feet away from me, slowly rolled away, shot me the middle fin and swam off. But I know where she lives now.

All fish came on various colored Devil Eyes and the tried and true Bloody/white Sea Shad. Water temps reached 90 degrees this afternoon and winds gusted over forty. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment